Saturday, January 8, 2011

Daddy

          Some of you are probably wondering why I have not posted lately. The reason is simple. Time. My dad passed recently and I have been busy and emotional. I wanted to wait till I could reflect on the events and learn something before I posted a blog.
          I am glad I waited because I learned two valuable things I wanted to share with my readers. One is that in every hard thing we go through, there is an opportunity for us to be blessed. We only have to look for that blessing and accept it. The second is what it truly means to live a life of no regrets.
          I learned that with my dad passing I would be blessed in several ways. One way is that I would renew ties with family and friends that I had not seen in a decade. Another blessing was that I was moving into the stage of my life where I would have a family of my own. It is not that I am married yet or that I am having a baby. However I have spent two years of holidays with my boyfriends family. His dad has accepted me and been wonderful while I was grieving over my dad. I have been cooking for my boyfriend's family functions. We talk about getting married soon. It just feels like my life is heading that direction. Still I connected with a lot of my dad's side of the family that I hadn't seen in a long time. I made a decision to honor dad's love for them. I'll honor him by being closer to those relatives. 
          When dad passed I saw all the people who were there for me and realized how many blessing I had in my life. I accepted them and made a decision to be a blessing back to those people. Dad also made me realize if you want to love someone and bless them, one great way to do that is with your words.  You tell them you love them and make them laugh. People may know that they are loved but they need to hear it and see it in your eyes when you say it. No one ever doubted my dad's love. He told you all the time. He would do anything for you. He could make anyone laugh. He lived a life of no regrets.
          I used to think living with no regrets meant doing everything right. Now I know that it means taking the risk of making a mistake because you never let an opportunity slip by. No regrets means never wishing you had said or done something. It means telling people how you feel. It means going after what you want with all you have! If you make a mistake you learn from it and move on. Don't regret taking action. Existing without ever living is what you should regret!
           
        

No comments:

Post a Comment